This weekend, Sept 26, 27, and 28th (2014) we are planning our first overnight “dress rehearsal”! It seemed like this day would never come, but it’s here and only 9-months until The Big Event next June!
This overnight trip has several mission objectives:
- Get the whole team together for the first time
- Test/find out what it will be like living/eating/sleeping together in the motor home and discover any unknown issues
- Walk/scout/map approximately 30 miles of the western shoreline
This is the basic plan for the 3-day weekend:
- Arrive Friday afternoon and setup at Base Camp West
- Scout-out and review with the team drop off and pickup points on Poe Road, Navy Base Road and Salton Sea Beach Marina
- Friday night luau “on the beach” dinner with Kerry Morrison and our Save our Sea friends
- Saturday morning walk 11 miles from Navy Base Rd to Salton Sea Beach Marina (Crystal Ave)
- After a 1 hour lunch and rest, at approximately 1PM walk 8 miles from Salton Sea Beach Marina to Save Our Sea headquarters/Base Camp West
- Sunday morning walk 8 miles from Poe Road to Navy Base Road
As of today the weather forecast is for ‘mild’ temperatures in the 95°F-100°F range, so the walks should be relatively easy but I’m sure we’ll uncover some issues and learn a few things.
If you are going to be near Salton City stop by and wave! I will be arriving at the Crystal Avenue marina around 12PM on Saturday, then around 1PM walking along Honolulu Ave back to the shoreline. Shortly after that I will be walking along Salton Bay Drive and cutting back in to the shoreline near West Shores Mobile Home park. Around 4PM I should be arriving at Salton Sea Beach, walking down Coachella Ave and across Eddie Ave, back to the shore.